Thursday, August 22, 2013

Santa Claus

I was sitting, waiting. For our gates to be opened. It was the day where my trip to Taiwan ended. It was also the day where my SAM results were announced.

Earlier in the morning at 5am, everyone I knew that were waiting anxiously for their results were wide awake. Me, miles away was Skyping with a friend, waiting too. Finally, it came. The screen flashed, 92.35. I gave my mum a call through the hotel room's phone. They were proud, very proud. I could enter into Monash, living my dreams.

While we were waiting for the flight number to be announced. Mum told me I could spend 500 bucks. Alright, that's cool. I could buy tons, ranging from Tamiya to shirts and new headphones. It was near Christmas, I thought I could buy my parents a Christmas present. So I allocated 200 bucks just for them. But something wasn't right. I didn't know what struck me. but then this thought came to me. I've been having 18 well blessed Christmas. I had good Japanese food for almost every Christmas Eve. But what about other children ? Is Christmas just an ordinary day for them ? Is Christmas for them staring out of the window, hoping ' Santa Claus ' will come knocking at their door ?

Without hesitation, I told my mum. I want to donate 200. That look of hers I would not forget. There were mixture of feelings in her stare. I can tell she was surprised, but somehow glad.

My family believes in Karma. When we were back in Malaysia, she donated 200 bucks to a blind society. I knew why. I have poor eyes, really poor eyes.

I had only 100 to spend. I didn't mind at all. You see people, life isn't about the amount of branded materials you possess. It's about making a difference. 200 might not be a lot. But I've given a little happiness to people who needed it. I don't see how people who have millions with them can't fish out a few thousands to help.

Maybe one day, when people can actually start letting go of personal possessions, just to help. It will be the day where everyone is actually rich, rich with happiness. Either that, everyone will still remain as slaves, slaves to money.

2012, it was the year I was a little Santa Claus.

1 comment:

  1. this post. made me tear up. you're an inspiring person! gosh. that little difference of yours, is a BIG difference to the people who received your kind donation :)

    ReplyDelete